Who is Jesus? Chapter 41 “Jesus the Good Shepherd”


 Who is Jesus? Chapter 41 “Jesus the Good Shepherd”


Today we will consider Good Shepherds and the characteristics of a Good Shepherd?  While we think about shepherds we will also consider Jesus as a good shepherd.

A good shepherd loves his sheep and develops a close, intimate relationship with them so that they know his voice and trust him.

A good Shepherd understands the needs of the sheep better than they do,

  • He Realizes what threatens sheep and what makes them sick. 

  • He sets limits. And makes sure the sheep have a safe resting place - - -

  • He shows the way. 
     Differently than other types of shepherds, a shepherd of sheep goes in front, and they follow ...

  • He wants the best for the sheep. A shepherd guides the sheep into green pastures and quiet water. .

  • He is sacrificial and - - He values relationships. …

Many of us are familiar with the 23rd Psalm;

“The Lord is my shepherd, I lack nothing. He makes me lie down in green pastures,
he leads me beside quiet waters, he refreshes my soul. He guides me along the right paths for his name’s sake. Even though I walk through the darkest valley, I will fear no evil,
for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me. “You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies. You anoint my head with oil; my cup overflows.
Surely your goodness and love will follow me all the days of my life, and I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever.”

A shepherd during the time of the Old Testament was often, but not always, the youngest child in the family. Whatever his age, the shepherd’s job was to protect his flock and guide them to good pastures with plenty of food and slow-moving, easily accessible water. If they were fed grass of poor quality, the sheep would be malnourished. If the water moved too quickly, the sheep would be too afraid to drink from it. Guiding the flock of sheep to safe and good pastures was an extremely important task because good pastures would keep his flock healthy.

A shepherd would carry a few items with him to aid him in as he cared for the sheep. First, he would have a rod. The rod was a sturdy stick with a knob at one end. Sometimes the knob even had nails in it to make it a better weapon. The shepherd used his rod to protect his sheep from wild animals or other threats. The shepherd also carried a long staff. The staff was used as a walking stick for the shepherd, who also used it to maneuver sheep when needed. For further protection, shepherds often carried a sling, comprised of a leather pouch on a string. Placing a stone in the pouch, a skilled shepherd could fling rocky projectiles over a good distance in order to scare off or wound wild animals.

During biblical times, because sheep were so valuable, the shepherds would stay with the flock to protect them day and night. As a young boy, David was a shepherd for his family, and he often used references to shepherding in the book of Psalms, and in Psalm 23 which, describes the Lord as the Great Shepherd:

It is interesting to notice that the first visitors to the baby Jesus - - were shepherds

Luke chapter 2: "And there were shepherds living out in the fields nearby, keeping watch over their flocks at night. An angel of the Lord appeared to them, and the glory of the Lord shone around them, and they were terrified. But the angel said to them, 'Do not be afraid. I bring you good news that will cause great joy for all the people. Today in the town of David a Savior has been born to you; he is the Messiah, the Lord. This will be a sign to you: You will find the baby wrapped in soft cloths and lying in a manger'." And the Shepherds went and found the child as they were told. The child was Jesus the Savior of the world.

Jesus was teaching in John chapter 10, and he said, “anyone who wants to come into the sheepfold, must enter through the door. Those who try to get in by a different way, are only fooling themselves, and they will not be allowed to enter. His disciples asked Jesus to explain to them what this meant, and He replied by saying: “I am the door of the sheep.  I am the door to the kingdom of God. If anyone enters by Me, he will be saved, and will go in and out and find pasture. I have come that they may have life, and that they may have it more abundantly.”

Jesus was attempting to show that He cared about people and a false leader does not care. He continued in story form; I am the good shepherd. The good shepherd lays down his life for the sheep. He who is a hired hand and not a shepherd, is one who does not own the sheep, he sees the wolf coming and leaves the sheep and flees, and the wolf snatches them and scatters them. He runs away because he is a hired hand and cares nothing for the sheep.  I am the good shepherd. I know my own and my own know me and I willingly lay down my life for the sheep.

The Prophet Isaiah in chapter 40 verse 11 foretold about Jesus being the Good Shepherd;

He will tend his flock like a shepherd; he will gather the lambs in his arms; he will carry them in his bosom, and gently lead those that are with young.

Jesus was teaching in Luke chapter 15 as he was being criticized by the Religious leaders for eating with sinners. Jesus told a story to illustrate his message: “What man of you, having a hundred sheep, if he loses one of them, does not leave the ninety-nine in the wilderness, and go after the one which is lost until he finds it? And when he has found it, he lays it on his shoulders, rejoicing.  And when he comes home, he calls together his friends and neighbors, saying to them, ‘Rejoice with me, for I have found my sheep which was lost!’ I say to you that likewise there will be more joy in heaven over one sinner who repents than over ninety-nine just persons who need no repentance.

Jesus said in John 10:11 “I am the good shepherd: the good shepherd gives his life for the sheep.

What did Jesus mean by that? As we think about it, we realize that is exactly what he did on the cross, he gave His life for you and for me so that we might have everlasting life and not perish.

Friend, let me tell you that Jesus is the Good Shepherd, and if you have not yet asked him to be the Shepherd of your life, today is a good day to do just that. Invite Jesus to come into your heart and when you do, He will give you eternal life so that when your time comes to leave this earth, you will live forever in heaven with the Jesus, the Good Shepherd.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Entering the Holy Place – Properly Dressed

Bible Foundations: “The Word of God Lesson 1” (Continued)

Remembering 9/11 Help my Unforgiveness