Who is Jesus? Chapter 40 Don't Worry and be Ready

 


Who is Jesus? Chapter 40 Don't Worry and be Ready (taken from Luke's Gospel chapter 12.)


We live in terrible times; and for many it is a fearful time not knowing what the future holds. For many there is much fear about the unknown, but I am reminded of the beautiful song that goes something like this; “I don't know about tomorrow; I just live from day to day. I don't borrow from its sunshine, For its skies may turn to gray. I don't worry o'er the future, For I know what Jesus said.  And today I'll walk beside Him, For He knows what is ahead. Many things about tomorrow I don't seem to understand But I know who holds tomorrow, And I know who holds my hand.”

As Jesus was teaching, thousands of people gathered together, pushing and shoving and trampling on one another. Jesus began by saying to his disciples, beware of the leaven (ferment) of the Pharisees, for it is hypocrisy. producing unrest and trouble. (They professed holiness, but their lives say otherwise) Jesus also said by a person's fruit you will know them. In other words, some were all mouth, but not actually living right. He went on to say that things that were covered up will be revealed and the hidden things will be made known. Things spoken in the darkness will be listened to in the light, and what was whispered in people's ears and behind closed doors will be proclaimed upon the housetops. (I wonder if Jesus was including what Governments also do in secret and in the dark?)

(My mother would tell me, “Hazel live right, because surely your sin will find you out.” And it always did.) It is good to always buckle up and stand tall and walk straight.

Jesus went on to charge the crowd not to dread or be afraid if you are facing persecution, because if your body be killed, there is nothing more they can do to you. But fear the one who after killing you has the power to cast you into hell ... I say to fear that one.” Jesus was referring to Satan the devil.

Jesus encouraged the crowd to realize that God is watching, and he knows every situation. God is concerned about each of you, and he counts all the sparrows and even the very hairs of your head are all numbered.

Jesus declared that whoever confesses openly that they worship him, and will speak about Him to others, then He will declare that person before God as a child of the kingdom. Jesus went on to say it is not good to deny and reject Jesus, and especially not to grieve the Holy Spirit.

Jesus encouraged the people to not worry if they have an interview before magistrates and authorities, and he will help you with the right words to say.

Someone in the crowd said to him, “Teacher, tell my brother to divide the inheritance with me.” But he said to him, “Man, who made me a judge or arbitrator over you?” And he said to them, “Be on your guard against all greed and covetousness, for one's life does not consist in the abundance of his wealth and his possessions.”

Then Jesus told them a parable, saying, “The land of a rich man produced plentifully, and he thought to himself, ‘What shall I do, for I have nowhere to store my crops?’ So, he said, ‘I will do this: I will tear down my barns and build larger ones, and there I will store all my grain and my goods. And I will say to myself, “Man, you have ample goods laid up for many years; relax, eat, drink, be merry.”’ But God said to him, ‘Fool!  Tonight, your soul is required of you, and the things you have stored up, whose will they be?’ So is the one who lays up treasure for himself and is not rich toward God.”

And Jesus said to his disciples, “Therefore I tell you, do not be anxious about your life, what you will eat, nor about your body, what you will put on.

For life is more than food, and the body more than clothing. Consider the ravens: they neither sow nor reap, they have neither storehouse nor barn, and yet God feeds them. Of how much more value are you than the birds! And which of you by being anxious can add a single hour to his span of life? If then you are not able to do as small a thing as that, why are you anxious about the rest? Consider the lilies, how they grow: they neither toil nor spin, yet I tell you, even Solomon in all his glory was not arrayed like one of these. But if God so clothes the grass, which is alive in the field today, and tomorrow is cast aside, how much more will he clothe you, O you of little faith! And do not seek what you are to eat and what you are to drink, nor be worried.  For all the nations of the world seek after these things, and your Father knows that you need them. Instead, seek his kingdom, and these things will be added to you.

“Fear not, little flock, for it is your Father's good pleasure to give you the kingdom. Store your treasures in the heavens where they will not fail, where no thief approaches and no moth destroys.
For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also.

“Stay dressed for action and keep your lamps burning and be like those who are waiting for their master to come home from the wedding feast, so that they may open the door to him at once when he comes and knocks. Blessed are those servants whom the master finds awake when he comes. Truly, I say to you, he will dress himself for service and have them recline at his table, and he will come and serve them. If he comes in the second watch, or in the third, and finds them awake, blessed are those servants!

Understand that the servants who knew his master's will, but did not prepare and get ready, shall suffer punishment. For when we know the will of the Master and refuse to do it, then much will be required of us.

Jesus knew what was ahead for him, and he said, I have a baptism with which to be baptized and I am sorely urged – impelled and constrained until it is accomplished. (He was referring to his death on the cross.) but those who listened did not understand.

Jesus urged those hearing his message; to be prepared for His coming and to know this, that if the master of the house had known at what hour the thief was approaching, he would not have left his house so easily to be broken into. 

You also must be ready, for the Son of Man is coming at an hour you do not expect.”

Friend, if you have never invited Jesus into your life, today is a good day to do just that. Jesus is knocking at the door of your heart, and waiting for you to say to Him; “ Jesus, I believe you are the Son of God, I believe you died on the cross for my sins, I believe you rose from the dead after three days, and I invite you into my life now, and I will follow you all the days of my life.”

If you prayed that simple prayer, then you are ready when Jesus will return. It is good to stay ready and a wise decision is to find a good Bible Believing church or fellowship and attend regularly where you can be encouraged with fellow believers and learn more about Jesus.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Entering the Holy Place – Properly Dressed

Bible Foundations: “The Word of God Lesson 1” (Continued)

Remembering 9/11 Help my Unforgiveness