Bible Foundations Subject: "The Godhead" Lesson 2

 



Bible Foundations - Subject: The Godhead Lesson 2

The Godhead is not revealed through our natural understanding. Man has, since the beginning of time, tried to understand God and has been unable to do so.

It is no wonder then that when we speak of the “Trinity” that man is confused.

How can God, who is one God, be three persons and yet this is so.

God is Three persons; Father, Son and Holy Spirit, and these three are one.

First we should never try to understand any spiritual thing, through our natural senses. Because if the thing we are attempting to understand is spiritual, it can only be understood by our spirit, through the Holy Spirit.

1 Corinthians 2:14 But the natural man does not receive the things of the Spirit of God, for they are foolishness to him; nor can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned.




The natural man learns through his five senses. Anything outside of this sphere of understanding is speculation. Man begins to philosophize and this is where he gets in trouble.

Romans 1:21 For although they knew God, they neither glorified Him as God nor gave thanks to Him, but they became futile in their thinking and darkened in their foolish hearts.

Colossians 2:8 Beware lest anyone cheat you through philosophy and empty deceit, according to the tradition of men, according to the basic principles of the world, and not according to Christ.

When illustrating the trinity with children, I often use an example such as an egg. There is the shell, and inside is the white and the yoke. It is one egg with three parts. Then another example; a family has mother, father and child, three persons, but one family. Now we will illustrate further about God in three persons using questions and answers from the Bible.

1. Is there one God?

Mark 12:29 - - “God is one God”

1 Corinthians 8:4 - - “There is none other but one”

Galatians 3:20 - - “God is one”

  1. Can God be plural even though he is one?

    1 John 5:8 - - “These three agree as one”

    Genesis 1:26-27 “Let usThen God said, Let Us make man in Our image, according to Our likeness;   (Who was God speaking to?  It was Jesus and the Holy Spirit)

    Genesis 11:7 Let us go “Come, let Us go down there and confuse their language - -

    Genesis 3:22 “Like one of us” Then the Lord God said, “Behold, the man has become like one of Us, to know good and evil. - -”

    Isaiah 6:8 Who will go for “us” I heard the voice of the Lord, saying: “Whom shall I send, And who will go for Us?

    Matthew 3:16-17 Jesus was baptized, the Spirit descended and the Father spoke.

    Matthew 28:19 Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit - -

    Acts 7: 55 Steven was filled with the Holy Spirit and saw God and Jesus. “But Steven, being full of the Holy Spirit, gazed into heaven and saw the glory of God, and Jesus standing at the right hand of God, and said, “Look! I see the heavens opened and the Son of Man standing at the right hand of God!”


    John 1:1-3,14 Father, Son and Spirit were all there in creation.

  1. Who is called God?

    a. THE FATHER 2 Peter 1:17 For Jesus received from God the Father honor and glory when such a voice came to Him from the Excellent Glory: “This is My beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased.”

    (the Jews called him God, but Jesus called him FATHER)

    b. THE SON John 20:28 “My Lord and my God” And Thomas answered (Jesus) and said to Him, “My Lord and my God! (Jesus did not deny this that he was God.)

c. THE HOLY SPIRIT - - Romans 8:9-11 The Lord is that Spirit. But you are not in the flesh but in the Spirit, if indeed the Spirit of God dwells in you. Now if anyone does not have the Spirit of Christ, he is not His.  And if Christ is in you, the body is dead because of sin, but the Spirit is life because of righteousness. If the Spirit of Him who raised Jesus from the dead dwells in you, He who raised Christ from the dead will also give life to your mortal bodies through His Spirit who dwells in you.

  1. The Oneness of the Trinity

John 10:30 “I and my Father are one.” Both Father and Son claim to be “I AM”

Exodus 3:14 At the burning bush, Moses asked God his name. God said, “I AM”

John 8:58 -Jesus said to them, “Most assuredly, I say to you, before Abraham was, I AM.”

The Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit eternal; they are past, present and future, the alpha and omega-

Rev 1:8, 17-18 I am the Alpha and the Omega, the Beginning and the End,” says the Lord, who is and who was and who is to come, the Almighty.”

Isaiah 44:6 Thus says the Lord, the King of Israel, And his Redeemer, the Lord of hosts:
am the First and I am the Last; Besides Me there is no God.

John 14:7-11  “If you had known Me, you would have known My Father also; and from now on you know Him and have seen Him.” Philip said to Him, “Lord, show us the Father, and it is sufficient for us.” Jesus said to him, “Have I been with you so long, and yet you have not known Me, Philip? He who has seen Me has seen the Father; so how can you say, ‘Show us the Father’?  Do you not believe that I am in the Father, and the Father in Me? The words that I speak to you I do not speak on My own authority; but the Father who dwells in Me does the works.  Believe Me that I am in the Father and the Father in Me, or else believe Me for the sake of the works themselves.

Acts 5:3 God the Holy Spirit; Peter said, “Ananias, why has Satan filled your heart to lie to the Holy Spirit and keep back part of the price of the land for yourself? 

  1. Only God is to be worshiped.
    Exodus 34:14 For you shall not worship any other god, for the Lord God whose name is Jealous, is a jealous God.

    God the Father is worshiped.

      Rev 4:8-11 You are worthy, our Lord and God, to receive glory and honor and power,for you created all things, and by your will they were created and have their being.”

      God the Son is also worshiped

    Heb 1:6 When God brings his firstborn into the world, he says, “Let all God’s angels worship him.” (Jesus was worshiped by many who came to Him and He did not rebuke any of them.

The Holy Spirit is also worshiped
Jude 1:20 But you, beloved, building up yourselves in your most holy faith, praying in the Holy Spirit,

  1. The Trinity in action (Who raised Jesus from the dead)

  2. God Raised Jesus; Acts 3:26 Unto you first God, having raised up his Son Jesus, sent him to bless you, in turning away every one of you from his iniquities.

    Jesus raised himself; John 10:17-18  Therefore My Father loves Me, because I lay down My life that I may take it again.  No one takes it from Me, but I lay it down of Myself. I have power to lay it down, and I have power to take it again. This command I have received from My Father.”

The Holy Spirit raised Jesus; Romans 8:11 But if the Spirit of Him who raised Jesus from the dead dwells in you, He who raised Christ from the dead will also give life to your mortal bodies through His Spirit who dwells in you.

  1. There is only one God. There has never been any except Him. There will never be any God but Him. God the Father, God the Son and God the Holy Spirit have always existed, they are eternal.

    Isaiah 43:10-11 You are my witnesses, declares the Lord, “and My servant whom I have chosen, so that you may know and believe Me, and understand that I am He. Before Me there was no God formed, and there will be none after Me. “I, even I, am the Lord, and there is no savior besides Me.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Entering the Holy Place – Properly Dressed

Bible Foundations: “The Word of God Lesson 1” (Continued)

Remembering 9/11 Help my Unforgiveness