Who is Jesus? Chapter 46 “Do This in Remembrance of Me”

 

Who is Jesus? Chapter 46 “Do This in Remembrance of Me”


There are times at your church or your fellowship, when communion is served that the minister will usually read from 1 Corinthians chapter 11: For I received from the Lord what I also delivered to you, that the Lord Jesus on the night when he was betrayed took bread, and when he had given thanks, he broke it, and said, “This is my body, which is for you. Do this in remembrance of me.” In the same way also Jesus took the cup, after supper, saying, “This cup is the new covenant in my blood. Do this, as often as you drink it, in remembrance of me.” For as often as you eat this bread and drink the cup, you proclaim the Lord’s death until he comes. - - -

We are reminded that Jesus was with his disciples at the Passover supper, and because the disciples had been arguing who would be the greatest in the kingdom of God, Jesus made himself an example to illustrate humility and service to one another by washing their feet. Jesus said, seek not to be the most important one, for the greatest is the one who serves others. Another time, Jesus had said, we must come willingly with simplicity as a little child for of such is the kingdom of heaven.

When the hour had come to share the Passover, Jesus sat down, and the twelve apostles with Him.  Then He said to them, “With fervent desire I have desired to eat this Passover with you before I suffer; for I say to you, I will no longer eat of it until all is fulfilled in the kingdom of God.”

And as they were reclining at table and eating, Jesus took bread, and after blessing it; broke it and gave it to them, and said, “Take eat; this is my body which is given for you.” And Jesus took the cup, and when he had given thanks he gave it to them, and they all drank of it.  And he said to them, “This is my blood of the new covenant, which is shed for you for the forgiveness of sins.

So, they sung a hymn, they went out to the Mount of Olives. Jesus said, “Now is the Son of Man glorified, and God is glorified in him.  Little children, yet a little while I am with you. You will seek me, and just as I said to the Jews, so now I also say to you, ‘Where I am going you cannot come.’

A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another:  just as I have loved you, you also are to love one another.  By this all people will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”

Simon Peter said to Jesus, “Lord, where are you going?” Jesus answered him, “Where I am going you cannot follow me now, but you will follow afterward.” Peter said to him, “Lord, why can I not follow you now? I will lay down my life for you.” Jesus answered, “Will you lay down your life for me?

And Jesus said to them, “You will all fall away, for it is written, ‘I will strike the shepherd, and the sheep of the flock will be scattered.’ But after I am raised up from the dead, I will go before you to Galilee.”

Peter said to him, “Even though they all fall away, I will not.”

And Jesus said to him, “Truly, I tell you, this very night, before the rooster crows twice, you will deny me three times.” And the Lord said, “Simon, Simon! Indeed, Satan has desired you, that he may sift you as wheat.  But I have prayed for you, that your faith should not fail; and when you have repented and returned to Me, strengthen your brethren.”

But Peter said emphatically, “I am ready to go both to prison and to death, and if I must die with you, I will not deny you.” And they all said the same.

Friend, please understand that we can deny Jesus by NOT accepting Him into our heart. If you have not already done so, today is a good day to invite Jesus into your life.  Simply say with your mouth, "Jesus I believe you are the son of God.  I believe you died on the cross for my sins, and I believe you rose from the dead after three days.  Jesus, I invite you into my life, and I will follow you all the days of my life."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Entering the Holy Place – Properly Dressed

Bible Foundations: “The Word of God Lesson 1” (Continued)

Remembering 9/11 Help my Unforgiveness