Communion Service  -  A Time to "Forget NOT"

The title of my message is “Forget Not.” Another way of saying forget not; is to say, remember this.

Today as we meet at the Lord's table to celebrate communion, let us prepare to remember the Lord's death, burial and resurrection. We are reminded that we are to “Forget not,” but to remember - - to consider - - to think about it - - to meditate quietly about all that Jesus did for us. We examine our hearts and repent of any sins that have not been placed at the foot of the Cross.

Can you remember the recent teaching or sermon you heard. You will probably say, “it was good. It encouraged me, I learned something, but I can't remember exactly what it was about.”

It is important to exercise your memory. A game that is often played at a baby shower or wedding shower is to bring out a tray with 10 or 12 small items on it.   Give the guests 3 or 4 minutes to view the items, then cover it with a towel or blanket. Now the guests are asked to write down all the items they can remember. Most people will not be able to remember very many.

This is an excellent exercise next time you hear a message or a sermon, try to remember the high points, and how it will help you in your Christian walk with Jesus. Take notes or write in your Bible.

The Bible Over and over tells us to remember what God has said and to remember what He has done for you and for others. Think about it.

Psalm 78:7 That they should put their confidence in God and not FORGET the works of God, But keep His commandments.

Psalms 103:2 reminds us; Bless the LORD, O my soul, and FORGET NOT all his benefits, - -

Bless the Lord
is a command and it is the first thing we do, we say hallowed be your name. Forget not his benefits: is the second command in these verses. I will count my blessings.

If we never forgot, we wouldn’t have to be reminded.  But because sin has cursed everything including our souls and memories, we do forget. Our minds straight up forget. Our hearts chase pleasures of this world, we go after other gods, in which we place our trust.

We are reminded in 2 Kings 17:38 The covenant that I have made with you, you shall not forget, nor shall you fear or worship other gods.

After the flood and Noah and his family were saved in the Ark, It is recorded in Genesis chapter 9; God gave a sign so that we will REMEMBER His promise. The bow in the cloud also reminds God; “And I will remember my covenant, which is between me and you and every living creature of all flesh; and the waters shall no more become a flood to destroy all flesh. And the bow shall be in the cloud; and I will look upon it, that I may remember the everlasting covenant between God and every living creature of all flesh that is upon the earth.

As I lingered over these thoughts, I was brought to the commandments that Moses carried back from the mountain of fire. One important commandment told us to REMEMBER the Sabbath day and keep it holy. As believers, we are no longer under the law, but we are under grace, and thus we follow the New testament example of celebrating Sunday OR, “the Lord's day” to worship and to rest.

Reading today a portion from Proverbs 3: ESV Solomon is saying to remember his teaching and to follow the pursuit of Wisdom, in promoting godliness which will add years to your life.

My son, do not forget my teaching, but let your heart keep my commandments, for length of days and years of life and peace they will add to you. Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and do not lean on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make straight your paths. It will be healing to your flesh and refreshment to your bones.”

Moses reminded the Israelites in Deuteronomy 9:7 REMEMBER and DO NOT FORGET how you provoked the Lord your God to wrath in the wilderness; from the day that you left the land of Egypt until you arrived at this place, you have been rebellious against the Lord.

Psalms 25:7 David is asking God: Remember not the sins of my youth, nor my transgressions: according to thy mercy remember thou me for thy goodness' sake, O LORD.

We don't enjoy looking back on our past mistakes, but there are times like today at the communion table that we need to reflect on times we grieved the Lord with our choices and selfish willfulness and ask his forgiveness. Today let us once and for all put our past mistakes under the blood of Jesus. I am so thankful that when God forgives us, the Bible says, He not only forgives our sins, but He forgets.

Yes, the Bible does say that God not only forgives our sins when we repent and trust Christ for our salvation, but God also forgets our sins.

Jeremiah 31:34 says, “I will forgive their wickedness and will remember their sins no more

It is a good thing to memorize scripture: These two are a good beginning: John 3:16: For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. Jeremiah 29:11: For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the LORD, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.

 "Thy Word have I hid in my heart that I might not sin against God."

"Jesus Christ the same, yesterday, today and forever." 

King Solomon urges us in Proverbs 4:13 Always remember what you have been taught, and don't let go of it. Keep all that you have learned; it is the most important thing in life.

Paul was reminding his friends; Acts 20:31-32 So be on your guard! Remember that for three years I never stopped warning each of you night and day with tears. Now I commit you to God, and to the word of his grace, which can build you up and give you an inheritance among all those who are sanctified.   Paul was saying remember my example, and do likewise.

Paul was very concerned that those he taught would remember his teaching; Philippians 4:9

Remember what I have taught you. Remember the message that you heard from me. Remember what you saw when I lived among you. You also must do those same things. Whatever you have learned or received or heard from me, or seen in me—put it into practice. God is the one who gives us peace in our minds. He will be with you.   Not just remember but do what you have learned.

As we approach the communion Table, we are reminded of the words of Jesus: “Do this in remembrance of me.”

We consider and remember the Lord's death, his burial and His resurrection and his promise to eat and drink with us when He returns again.

1 Corinthians 11:23-26 For I received from the Lord what I also passed on to you: The Lord Jesus, on the night He was betrayed, took bread, and when He had given thanks, He broke it and said, “This is My body, which is for you; do this in remembrance of Me.” In the same manner, after supper He took the cup, saying, “This cup is the new covenant in My blood; do this, as often as you drink it, in remembrance of Me.” For as often as you eat this bread and drink this cup, you proclaim the Lord’s death until He comes.

(At the table of the Lord, there should be a time for silence, a time to remember and to consider the holiness of the occasion and remember all that Jesus paid for on the cross. It is also a time to quietly search our hearts lest there be hidden there any secret sin that needs to be repented of and placed at the foot of the cross of Jesus.)

Continuing to read 1 Corinthians 11:27-31 Therefore, whoever eats the bread or drinks the cup of the Lord in an unworthy manner will be guilty of sinning against the  body and blood of the Lord.  Each one must examine himself before he eats of the bread and drinks of the cup. For anyone who eats and drinks without recognizing the Lord's body eats and drinks judgment on himself.  That is why many among you are weak and sick, and a number of you have fallen asleep. Now if we judged ourselves properly, we would not come under judgment by the Lord.

    Reading from Mark 14: And He said to them, “I have eagerly desired to eat this Passover with you before My suffering. 16 For I tell you that I will not eat it again until it is fulfilled in the kingdom of God.” 17 After taking the cup, He gave thanks and said, “Take this and divide it among yourselves. 18 For I tell you that I will not drink of the fruit of the vine from now on until the kingdom of God comes.”

19 And He took the bread, gave thanks and broke it, and gave it to them, saying, “This is My body, given for you; do this in remembrance of Me.” (Let us partake together – The body of Christ)

20 In the same way, after supper He took the cup, saying, “This cup is the new covenant in My blood, which is poured out for you. (Drink all of it - The blood of Christ) Amen

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Entering the Holy Place – Properly Dressed

Bible Foundations: “The Word of God Lesson 1” (Continued)

Remembering 9/11 Help my Unforgiveness